At our last Profitable Social Media class, we had a few agents ask whether it’s possible to convert their personal Facebook profile to a business page. The answer is YES and it’s called Profile to Business Page Migration. This feature has been out for a while, but since we’re coming across lots of agents who need to migrate their accounts, we thought we’d walk you through the steps. Some of you might be wondering, why you’d want to do this. Well, the main reason is Facebook prohibits use of an individual profile as a business page. If you’re currently using a personal page as your business page, you risk losing your account along with all of your data. So if you’re guilty of this, you may want to consider proactively converting your account to avoid this.
Here are the steps you want to take to migrate your personal Facebook account to a business page:
- Download your data: As indicated in the screenshot above, only your profile photo and friends will be transferred to the new page. All of your existing friends will be converted to “likes”. Since all of your remaining timeline information will be deleted (e.g. photos, videos, messages, posts, etc. that you’ve posted to your timeline, as well as your friends names and some of their email addresses), you’ll want to make sure that you download your timeline information before you start the migration. To download the information, go to Account Settings and click download a copy of your Facebook data. Note that you can also download your expanded archive which will include more detailed info such as login info, cookies, and more. For more detailed info on the types of information you can download, visit the Accessing Your Facebook Info page.
- Transfer your existing pages and groups. Since your personal profile is being removed, but sure to assign a new admin/owner to your existing pages and groups, so that you don’t lose them.
- Update your Profile Name and Address This step only applies to you if you have an existing business page that you’ll ultimately want to merge with after the migration (as described in Step 5).
Update your Name: Select Account Settings from your personal profile page and click on Edit next to your name. Enter a name that matches your existing business page name.
Update your Address: Click the “About” link and Edit Contact Info to update your address to match the address on your existing business page.
- Click on Migrate your Personal Page to a Business Page to create your business page. Simply select your business type and enter the required information to complete the migration. For those of you who have created business pages in the past, this process will be similar to that.
- Merge Duplicate Pages The migration process only allows you to convert your personal profile to a new business page, not an existing Business Page. To get around this, you can create a duplicate business page and once you complete the migration process, you can merge the duplicate pages.
There are a few things to be aware of: Facebook only allows you to merge the page with fewer likes into the page with more likes. So if your newly migrated page contains more likes, you’ll lose the content that was on your existing page with fewer likes. If you’re merging into the newly created page, the result will be a business page with no content. And secondly, you’ll only be allowed to merge pages with similar usernames and matching addresses. If you want to be able to merge duplicate pages, be sure to complete step 3 prior to the migration. For step by step instructions from Facebook on how to complete this final step, click on Merging Duplicate Pages.